Movie Review: Edge of Tomorrow

Last Friday I decided to go watch End of Tomorrow starring Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt. I had no idea what to expect as I didn't watch any trailers nor have read on what the story is about. I did though check if the reviews for this film was high enough for me to try to watch it. 90% on Rotten Tomatoes sold me to go watch it.

Here's a synopsis from Wikipedia:
An officer finds himself caught in a time loop in a war with an alien race. His skills increase as he faces the same brutal combat scenarios, and his union with a Special Forces warrior gets him closer and closer to defeating the enemy



The movie started out a bit boring for me. Maybe 'cause I put on this high expectation after reading reviews. It was a bit confusing and weird at first but as the movie went along, I started to get it and find it quite good. It was hilarious at times but also presents a cool action movie. When I read people were praising Tom Cruise's performance, I was expecting Mission Impossible level of coolness to his character, but it actually was not at first. His clueless and arrogant persona actually made it quite funny to watch. As the movie progressed, so did the heroism in him rise. I never thought Emily Blunt would be able to pull off an action movie, but was I wrong. She presented a sexy yet strong character to play alongside Tom's character.



The movie was all about the 2 main characters. The other supporting characters I would say did not make much impression towards the whole film but did bring in some laughter and heroic elements to the film. The movie doesn't go to a lot of different settings. Mostly it circles around the army base, training facilities, the beach and the final scene so it doesn't I would say have a impactful cinematography but the special effects make up for it. The enemy aliens look like something that would come out of a Transformers movie but then we weren't being explained on what these things were. However, the CGI of these aliens were very detailed. The battles are detailed as well where you can see they made sure all viewable space was covered.


Overall, the movie was good. It's not something the kids would be able to enjoy easily but definitely can be digested by the casual movie goer. I'm a bit glad I chose this movie to watch over Maleficent. I give it an 8 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BlogMalaysia.com