2013 in K-Pop - Best Rookie

I'm having the hardest time in choosing this as I didn't enjoy many rookie debuts this year. After last year's overwhelming flow of new rookie (and good ones), I find a lot of the rookie male and female groups have similar concepts with existing artists. Not many stood out for me. So here's my Top 5 choices. If you're reading from buzz KOREA, click on the original URL below to watch videos and more.

5
Roy Kim
I loved his winning single last year Passing By and looked forward to more song like that from him. Luckily his record company stuck with that concept. I still preferred Passing By but both Love Love Love and Bom Bom Bom are good listens for me. They're more on the light-hearted and happy side.


4
HISTORY
HISTORY debuted with a unique uptempo song with a big chorus, Dreamer. I loved the drum beats! I guess it's to showcase their harmony. Tell Me Love, their 2nd song is more mainstream. The kind of pop songs from your average boy band but it still had a nice hook in its chorus. They even released a 3rd song which I haven't cozied up to yet. Apparently it has some latin flavor to it. Very different indeed.

3
Eric Nam
2013 made me listen to more solo artists. Most of them are actually from singing competitions on TV. What I know is that Eric is from Birth of a Great Star, I think. His debut song Heaven's Door is a sweet romantic song that showcases his vocal ability effortlessly. Another song from his debut mini album, Cloud 9, that I liked was Love Song. Such a lovely song with a sweet bridge and an even sweeter chorus. I'd want to use that as a wedding song :)

2
Got2B
This might be a surprise to a lot of people as not many know this group. The weird thing is their MV for their debut song, Sorry, only featured one member throughout the whole video. However, I absolutely love this song, which explains why they're high in my list. Their other songs on their debut EP that I liked is Only U and Tell Me That You Love Me.

1
Hong Dae Kwang
I wouldn't have discovered this guy if I hadn't gone to Jeju Island. I was kinda in the mood for a sad song to listen to at the time. Goodbye featuring Sistar's SoYou was the song that made me noticed Hong Dae Kwang. From there, I was sure he would have more songs that are just beautiful. His album was one of my best this year. Listen to I Am, I Just Like You and Smiling Goodbye as well.

Hope you find something you like here ;)

buzz KOREA

No comments:

Post a Comment

BlogMalaysia.com